Sunday, January 22, 2017

Moving Forward Through The Program

Ever since I was a little girl, I always found myself eagerly gravitating towards any sort of activity that involved any form of writing. I would write letters, stories, and (just recently) articles through Cumming Local. I've always known that this was the area in which I coveted an intense passion, and through my recent research, I've found that I am able to figure out ways in which I could not only actively involve myself in some sort of writing, but I could also be able to form a potential career. This research, through the Honors Mentorship Program, has given me the opportunity to hope and dream, while also finding ways in which I can express my passion in a plausible, influential way.

From the start of my research, I decided to further investigate the question, "how can the interpretation of modern journalism corroborate its stature as a plausible, exciting career, and in what ways am I able to defend its validity?". At the beginning of my experience with the Honors Mentorship Program, I read the article, "Entrepreneurial Journalism and the Precarious State of Media Work", of which its sole intent was to investigate the job security many prospective journalists face upon graduating. And after reading this article, I got the impression that any job security availability was wiped away, and graduates were left in the dust, After speaking one on one with my mentor, and current owner of a professional blog, however, I began to understand the flip side of this perspective. While the article had a tone of objective negativity, my mentor constantly (and naturally) beamed about all of the amazing attributes of her job. She had tips and tricks that helped quell any of my fears and objections; I noticed later, even, that some of these ideas were represented in the article as well. This caused me to take a few steps backward and rethink my understanding of the situation. In doing so, I came up with a new essential question that will help further my understanding of this career: "What realistically profound challenges could I possibly face in the future through entrepreneurial journalism, and in what ways am I able to better prepare myself for a successful journalistic career in this job climate?"

As I continue my research this semester, I plan on creating both an informative website and a brochure directed at my target audience so as to better articulate my findings.

For my real inquiry, I will research relevant and academic article relating to my essential question, focusing on different perspectives regarding the matter. This will allow me to see all sides of the equation, and will hopefully trigger more of an intense questioning on my part. This will lead to more extensive research, and guide me to question everything to a much greater extent, lending my conclusion to be one of value, strength, and quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment