Sunday, May 7, 2017

My Time With The Honors Mentorship Program

Throughout this amazing process, the Honors Mentorship Program has helped me to grow in more ways than I thought possible. Because of my time with Cumming Local, paralleled with my other responsibilities within the Program, I was able to not only pursue an intense passion of mine every week, but I was also able to develop more practical skills in the process. I've seen, for instance, the areas in which I lacked a certain amount of experience or skill (like effectively scheduling out my plans, proper communication, and time management), and refined them over time. To do this, I had to actively write down and check on events and due dates in my calendar, while also making sure that I had my days planned out by the hours. In doing this, I found myself free to not only write the articles I had needed to finish, but to have enough time to be as creative as I desired during the process.

Even though this experience has most certainly been one of the highlights of my life, as with every good thing, I knew that there would be certain drawbacks. In this instance, they merely were setbacks that I alone was accountable for. Because of my lack of planning (and my occasional inability to understand the concept of due dates from time to time), I was forced to develop a more responsible sense-of-self. I had to not only hold myself accountable for any mishaps that occurred on my end of the bargain, but to also be proactive in finding ways in which I could ensure that it wouldn't ever happen again. Even though I may have fallen short at the beginning of my internship, with the grace and guidance of my both my mentor and my teacher, I was able to grow into a confident and authentic employee, writer, and businesswoman.

Because I had never before put myself in a position to write in such a manner, the journalistic opportunities that I had received this year helped me to grow in my ventures. It was, of course, a challenging ordeal, but overall, the maturity in my writing tended to develop positively during this adventure of mine. Even though I was exposed to this new form of writing without any prior experience, I found myself enjoying it more than I ever thought I would. While I'm still not certain about which career I will end up pursuing, the Honors Mentorship Program, in all of its wonders, has given me the opportunity to realize that journalism is not only a sensible route to take, but it is an interesting one as well. Because of this realization (along with all of the amazing other attributes of the Program), I would encourage any students that are interested in applying to give it everything they've got. Don't falter on your invigoration for the internship, and keep up with all of your assignments. Be ready to learn something around every corner, and stay humble throughout the process's entirety.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140704164020-103239692-the-case-for-why-journalism-is-not-dead

No comments:

Post a Comment